Saturday, August 20, 2011

B.O.Y. Craziness!!!!!

Numbness. That's about all my brain keeps telling me. I am so excited to be starting in a new school and I love how proactive my administrators and amazing team members are! HOWEVER, it still doesn't mean that I'm not so overwhelmed that I am just sitting like a bump on a log talking in circles or not talking at all! Integrating the new programs and ways of teaching is the most overwhelming. Second in line is BRAND new curriculum, all subjects. Yikes. But, the sun will rise regardless and I will continue to do my best to take in as much information as possible and do the best I can do for my students.

So we're supposed to integrate a new philosophy of teaching called P.E.A.K. (Performing Excellence for All Kids). I think PEAK is a great tool for teaching and will help students reach their own potential much quicker than other forms of teaching. BUT, it takes ALOT of time, planning, and collecting of materials for the teacher. There are 5 levels of exposure to information (conveniently related to weather!). First is the CLOUD. So just as a Cloud starts to form foreshadowing an upcoming storm, the information of an upcoming unit or new information is posted somewhere in the classroom(2-4 weeks prior to scheduled unit). Just as it is in real life, the SPRINKLE is next. There are brief references, activities, or thoughts 2-4 minutes long presented 2 weeks before the new material is scheduled. Next comes the SHOWER of 3-5 minute activities that can be used as movie "previews" or "commercial breaks" during transitions 1 week before the scheduled unit. The GENTLE SOAK is during the actual scheduled unit which includes whole group lessons, activities, projects, discussions, etc about the unit. The final DRIP, DRIP, DRIP of PEAK are the reteach small group or mini lessons, or reviews that occur up to 2 or 3 weeks after the unit has been taught.

LOVE the idea. Dislike practically needing to plan my whole year in the next three days before school starts. However, it WILL make me a stronger teacher and stop me from procrastinating :) Wish me luck!!

No comments: