Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Testing Strategies



Every year I notice that students have poor testing scores. I feel that part of the reason is that testing strategies are not taught, and also not the same for every teacher. This means that every year, students are learning new ways to solve problems from different teachers every year! Many teachers teach strategies that work for themselves, but for many students it just doesn't fit. So my question to everyone is, What testing strategies (Problem solving strategies too) do you teach your students? Does the whole school teach the same thing?

For Reading, my whole school decided on these steps:

1. Read title and look at pictures. Write prediction sentence.
2. Read and look over the questions.
3. Read the story. Write the main idea for every 2 to 3 paragraphs.
4. Answer questions. PROVE by underlining sentences in story or writing out thoughts.
5. Check your work.

For Math, my school doesn't have a set strategy, but this is what I do:
1. Read the question.
2. Review answer choices.
3. Circle IMPORTANT information. Be careful not to be tricked!
4. Solve the problem. Remember you can: Draw a picture, Make a table, Find a pattern, or Act it out!
5. Check your answer.

If you have any questions or suggestions, PLEASE let me know! I'd love to hear from you!


No comments: