Friday, October 5, 2012

Christopher Columbus Day/ Pumpkin Fun

No School Monday! Woohoo! Man I really need this one! Anyway here is a fun Columbus Day activity I found on Pinterest (although I was denied permission to the site  so I can't give credit!). It turned out pretty cute!

They're Columbus ships! I didn't tell the student what we were making as we were going along, and then they started catching on! Brainpop Jr. also has a great video that explains why we celebrate Columbus Day (apparently created by FDR...did not know that...).


 On to pumpkins! I LOVE OCTOBER! I think I've said that already. Anyway, today I told the kids the story about the witch looking for a house story. While you are telling the story you cut the paper. At the very end it comes out to be a jack-o-lantern. Have you heard the story? The kids BEG me to tell the story again and let them cut and make a jack-o-lantern themselves. I let them add some pizzazz and voila! I have a precious pumpkin patch with TONS of personality! LOVE IT! Here are some pics.
Did you see the Mustache?!?!?!?! OMG!!! HAHAHAHA I cracked up! Apparently the mustache craze is hitting the children's market. Oh they are so precious. Good Friday right before a 3 day weekend!

1 comment:

Delighted said...

Love the ships. Enjoy your day off Monday. Unfortunately I have to go (I mean get too!) work. :-(

imgoingfirst@gmail.com