Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Gardening

We are blessed to have a gardening area with plots at the back of our school! I couldn't wait to have hands on fun in the dirt growing and learning about plants and their parts. However, the garden had not been touched in two years and long grass had taken over!!! On a beautiful afternoon last week, I spent two hours clearing half of a plot so we could have a class garden. Unfortunately no shovel could be found in the school, so I was deduced to using a spade! Let's just say my battle wounds speak for how hard I worked!
I went to Lowe's to buy some soil and flowers. The cashier was so amazing and gave me an awesome discount since I was a teacher. He made my day! Especially because I was paying for everything out of pocket.
The next day I took the kids out to plant the flowers and herbs I bought the night before. I got a cute idea from Pinterest to plant a vertical herb garden with clay pots, so we planted those first. Then we planted rows of flowers in the plot. I had an awesome time! By looking at some of the kids faces in the pictures, several of them did NOT... And they certainly let me know it (It's hot, my hands are dirty, grass is itchy, when's recess...)! After 5 days, the flowers and herbs are still alive!!! More photos to come... I'm thinking of planting vegetables!

No comments: