Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Research: Insects!

Research curriculum is always planned for the end of a school year. The kids know how to read better and some may be learning from what they read. The first way I presented the topic is how to choose which information is important while reading, why it is important, and what to do with the information once it is chosen.
Of course I started by modeling my thoughts out loud while reading a book about bumble bees. I used three sticky notes to write down three things I thought were important and why. Then we did it together while reading a book about bumble bees (they talked in partners and we all decided what information was important). Then I split them up into groups (each group had a different book) and they were in charge of reading/listening the whole book. Once read, I went by and discussed with each group what 3 things they thought were important. Then I handed each student 3 sticky notes to write down what their group decided what was important (they all decided and wrote the same things, but had a choice to write something different if desired). Each student was responsible for reading and writing to ensure all students were participating. Once I did this with all groups, we regrouped on the carpet. I told the students to choose one sticky (piece of information) that they would like to present to the class with a corresponding diagram or picture. Remember, they had to tell me WHY the sticky was important. The kids worked well together (with a class of 25...18 of them being boys this was a big celebration!) and they learned a little bit about presenting to an audience!

No comments: