Monday, February 24, 2014

Density Submarine Project

Next in the Scope and Sequence were Physical Science TEKS. I think this is one of the hardest units/projects for the kids to understand, grasp, and learn. I launched the project by having the kids watch a Magic School Bus video about Sinking and Floating. I grouped the kids by who I thought would be able to collaborate well together. Of course, no group can be perfect. Here are the project requirements.


  • Create a submarine that could float, sink, then float again. 
  • Use the Engineering Design Process to create the submarine.
  • Explain (using science vocabulary) how your submarine was able to float and sink.
  • Keep an object (hand warmer) that is inside your submarine warm (conductors or insulators?)


This was the first project that the students had to do a lot of research and critical thinking to solve the mystery of making their submarine float after sinking. It was great to see them problem solve. They begged me for suggestions when their design didn't work as expected, and it was awesome saying, "Well at least you know what  did NOT work. Make a new design and try again!"

To introduce density to the students, we did a lab using cooking oil, vinegar, water, and a plastic ring. I put food coloring in each liquid. The kids poured the liquids into a graduated cylinder and watched with amazement how they all separated.

After the assessment was given, however, many students did not have a strong grasp of physical science. So back to the drawing board to tweak this project!

Strangely enough, I didn't take pictures (what was going through my head?!) so you will just have to imagine the wet floors of our science lab from testing all shapes and sizes of submarines! Some of the kids came up with neat ideas!

Leave your gmail address in a comment if you would like me to send you the rubric I made for this project.

No comments: