Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Healthy Rewards!

To promote making healthy choices about food, I have started a rewards chart for each student to fill as they bring in a fruit or vegetable for snack. The first day I did it, the kids crossed theirs off the list, then I found a whole bunch of fruit in the trashcan with one bite taken out of it. To avoid this wasting, they now have to show me an empty banana peel, apple core, strawberry tops, orange peels, empty snack baggie, etc to be able to cross off the next box on the list. One of my student's mom's was super sweet and gave me Dr. Seuss Rewards Charts (from Michael's I think!) so I used those. At first some of my students told me they never eat fruits and vegetables!!!!! My jaw dropped to the floor! They said their parents won't by fruits and vegetables (how true that is, I don't know). Luckily there is no excuse NOT to have a healthy snack because we are blessed with free breakfast for every student, where a piece of fruit is an option to choose. The kids are really starting to enjoy eating healthy snacks, and their bodies are enjoying it too!!!
Also, every year I teach free yoga classes to my fellow teachers every Tuesday! Around springtime and Testing time, I have more and more participants because we ALL need to DESTRESS!!!!! I wish the whole staff would join! Maybe one day :) Here we are in pigeon pose!

No comments: