Monday, May 12, 2014

Project: Aborted #2

Another project I had to abort was "Amazing Animals: Adaptations." We never even started it because we ran out of time. Next year I hope to get to this one!

Driving Question:
How does an animal's environment affect its features, behaviors, and interactions with living and non-living things?

Project Requirements:
-Create a new animal whose physical features are determined by its environment.
-The animal must have a name.
-Create a poster  that describes the animal.
-Compare new animal to animals with similar features.
-Explain why the new animal has each feature.
-Think of possible inherited traits the animal may have.
-Explain the learned behaviors your new animal has.

I was going to have students pick the ecosystem out of a hat. They would also pick cards from a hat if their animal was nocturnal, insect, reptile, mammal, or fish, etc. This would provide variability amongst the groups. I would show the "Planet Earth" series in the background while the groups were working as well (just to give some inspiration!).

My sugar glider, Fleur, gave me inspiration for this project! She is a nocturnal marsupial from Australia! (Yes, that is an opposable thumb! So cool!)


If interested in project plan, leave me your email in a comment so I can share it with you!

No comments: