Monday, May 12, 2014

Project: Aborted

Well I had two projects that I really wanted to do with my kiddos, however, time always plays the best antagonist! The 5th 6 Weeks was all about life science (which is always the kids favorite!!!!!).

The first Project I started, but was not able to complete. I dubbed it "Botany" for lack of a better title.

Driving Question:
Why are plants a necessary part of an ecosystem?

Project Requirements:
  • Create a diagram of the Life Cycle
  • Create a diagram of the Carbon Dioxide Cycle
  • Plant, Grow, and tend a vegetable plant

The students learned and tested the water retention for different kinds of soil. Then we planted our radish seeds! While waiting for the sprouts, the students created a diagram of the Plant Life Cycle. For the Carbon Dioxide Cycle, I had the kids create a comic explaining to lower grade the Carbon Dioxide Cycle. These came out great! I showed them the "Carbon Cycle" video on www.studyjams.com and also played the "Photosynthesis" Karaoke song provided on Study Jams. The kids loved it!

It blows my mind how many students have no background knowledge of gardening! But, I am so glad this project provides them the experience to build it! The kids enjoyed getting down and dirty in the soil, and also tending to their plant. I often see students talking and taking care of their plants, like a pet! It is too funny. This project will just last until the end of the year! I did not present the project in the typical fashion I normally do with a Hook, Challenge Brief, and Rubric breakdown. We just did each activity separately. Next time, it will be done in the proper way! Here is a picture of the seedlings (the seed coat is coming off!!!).


Next year I hope to do this project in early February, so the kids will be able to harvest the radishes. I was also planning on doing carrots with the kiddos, but did not have time. Next year!

No comments: