Monday, May 12, 2014

Projects in the Making

I have some project ideas to finish off the year that I am so PUMPED about! I got one idea from www.sciencebuddies.org (if you have not visited this site, as well as shared it with your students, you guys are missing out!!!!). I am going to have the kids build CATAPULTS!!!!! I'm so excited!  I will provide straws, spoons, little cups, skewers, paper, popsicle sticks, glue, and tape for the kids to use to build. Unfortunately, this inspiration came a little tardy because it needs to be started next week! So for next year, I may look to see if Lowe's or Home Depot will donate some wood, hammers, nails, etc. so the students can build large scale catapults. For this year, they will only use what I can provide cheaply and quickly! I think they will have so much fun!

I got another STEM project idea from the Baylor Med Center kids STEM workshop. This will be a short mini project, maybe 4 days. I did it with my tutoring group and they loved it! They will be challenged to create an annular ring aircraft. Just in case you don't know what it is (I didn't know beforehand either!), here is a picture.



They will create them out of paper, skewers, straws, string, etc. I'm so excited! Official project posts to come!

No comments: