Thursday, February 24, 2011

Games

A fun idea and game that I played in my class is a student to student interactive game. Give students a question, or problem, etc. Count them off by 1's and 2's. Ask the ones to form a tight circle in the middle and the twos to form a circle on the outside. Have the students walk around in the circle (going opposite ways) while you play music. When you stop the music, the students will stop and ask their question or problem to the person standing in front of them. Well, the person that was supposed to be in front of them. Oh ya! I'm teaching FIRST grade and not FIFTH grade. They didn't understand how to scoot down and fix themselves so each person who had a partner. OH! So, every time I stopped the music I told them to freeze, fixed everyone, and then we shared! They loved it!

My favorite part was listening to them sing at the top of their lungs, "Baby you're a firework!" and watching their AWESOME dance moves! (We dance ALL the time and do lots of kinesthetic movements to help us learn!) And miraculously enough, they ACTUALLY asked each other the questions and weren't silly when I stopped the music. They FROZE! I guess I'm used to the fifth graders who always start gossiping.

No comments: