Sunday, August 12, 2012

11 Tools: Tool #10: Digital Citizenship

Just going to say that it hadn't occurred to me how important it is to not only teach kids how to be a good citizen in daily life in our community, but also online in the digital world! Man! Kids today have so much more to learn, what happened to the simple life! Luckily I'll be teaching 1st grade this year which highlights the community and citizenship, so it will be a smooth add on to teach Digital Citizenship as well! For the most part, I feel it's common sense but everything has to be spelled out for the young kids. Three most important things I want my kids to know:
1) Give credit to those who deserve it.
2) Whatever you say or do online, it is saved somewhere FOREVER!!! So be judicious...
3) Keep personal information to yourself. NEVER reveal private information on public social networks.

How will I share Digital Citizenship with my parents..... a home project! Have parents work with their kids together to watch videos about digital citizenship and discuss what it is and why it's important. There probably will not be computers in many of the house holds, so on Meet the Teacher night and Open house, I will have the Netbooks open and available for the parents to do the project. If they still are unable to attend, maybe I can work something out with the librarian to have an "Open Computer Lab" Night.

No comments: