Thursday, August 9, 2012

11 Tools: Tool #3 Online Video/Images

Well, if you are unaware of online video websites, I'm afraid you're in the minority. HOWEVER, just in case you haven't heard of ALL of the cool websites, here are some

TeacherTube
Youtube
Schooltube
Kidstube

Be careful about YouTube! There are inappropriate ads and videos that somehow make their way onto your search. However, this past year my students introduced me to some pretty awesome videos that have Lego men dancing which is hilarious!!!

Here is one: "Lab Safety" by Rhythm, Rhyme, Results


 Discovery Education is also another website I use often in my classroom. I'm lucky to have it this year in my new district, I sorely missed is last year! It has great videos for science and social studies! Every year for Earth Day I show the kids some Planet Earth episodes which they LOVE! (and so do I!)


Using images in the classroom is a great tool to engage students and get students asking questions. However, are you using them legally? Make sure to give credit to those who did the work! We as teachers need to plant the seed of anti-plagiarism early in our students heads! I met a professor from New York on a train in Thailand, and he said he's about to give up assigning books to read and papers to write in his classes because most papers are plagiarized from the same sources even! He said he can tell when a rare student comes along and actually reads the assignment he gives and the student actually has genuine thoughts. These kids are supposed to be the cream of the crop for us! The next leaders of America! Yikes! Does it make anyone else a little squeamish?

No comments: